MichellePickett

These Words Tell a Story...

I am the author of the Amazon bestselling young adult post apocalyptic novel, PODs.

Anomaly - Krista McGee As anyone who’s read my reviews already knows (and is most likely sick to death of hearing), I am huge on first sentences of books. I base a lot of my decision to read or not to read a book on that one small sentence. Right or wrong, there it is. And Anomaly had a killer first sentence. Score one for Ms. McGee—she had me at hello, to quote a really over used line (I hear you all groaning.)

The second thing Anomaly had going for it was the plot. I loved the concept—a world without emotions. Could human beings live with emotions taken out of the equation? Could emotions be bred out of us? Can we be taught not to wonder why? Not to question, but only do what is expected of us without thought? That’s the question raised in this science/fiction, dystopian novel.

Thalli finds that she, in fact, is not able to live a life without questioning the things that go on around her. Why does she have to do this at exactly this time on this day? When it’s discovered that she is behaving inappropriately, it is decided that she must be disposed of. Well, I don’t like to give away too much of a book’s story line away in my reviews so I’ll just leave it at—someone intervenes and she is given a reprieve from execution…but the question is, for how long?

I really enjoyed Anomaly. It has a very heavy religious aspect to it that may turn off some readers, but I feel works well in a dystopian world when we are supposed to be transported to a place where belief and traditions are far different than our own.

I had a slight disconnect with the story because I felt there was too much exposition (hence the 4 stars). I would have liked far less of that. Otherwise, I found Ms. McGee’s Anomaly quite enjoyable and highly recommend it.

Anomaly is full of suspense, twists and turns and is an unpredictable read.

**I received an ARC of this title in exchange for my unbiased review.