MichellePickett

These Words Tell a Story...

I am the author of the Amazon bestselling young adult post apocalyptic novel, PODs.

The Truth About You and Me - Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard I had such high expectations for The Truth About You and Me. The synopsis sounded wonderful—a story of forbidden love. But I don’t feel that’s what the book was about at all. So if you are looking for a “romance” this is not the book for you. This is a book about finding oneself. Learning to break away from what is expected of you and live your own life. It is not a romance, in my opinion, although romance is a sub-plot.

First I want to say that I loved the idea of the story line. The younger student falling in lust/love with the older college professor and hiding her true age from him, knowing he would never have entered a relationship with her had he known the truth. I like that she was the one lying and he was completely in the dark. And in the book, she takes full responsibility for her actions. Kudos to her. But that’s where it ends for me, unfortunately.

The story blurb makes it sound like the book is told in a series of letters explaining their relationship. Actually, it’s two very long letters. There are no chapter breaks. It might sound nit-picky, but I found that annoying. And the entire book is told in these letters. And when I say “told” I mean told. There is very little interaction between the characters, detailed explanation of events, people, ETC. It’s just a rambling letter from the female character to her college professor whom she duped.

I found the main character a bit whiney at times, and annoying, but she is sixteen so I suppose that’s to be expected. But I also felt bad for her. I believe she really did have feelings for the male lead and remorse for what she’d done.

The bottom line: I wasn’t blown away by the book like I’d hoped to be, but I didn’t hate it either. Would I recommend it, probably not. It isn’t a book I would ever reread.

I really think the author had a wonderful idea, but the execution just wasn’t there.

*I was given this ARC for my honest review.