MichellePickett

These Words Tell a Story...

I am the author of the Amazon bestselling young adult post apocalyptic novel, PODs.

The Weepers: The Other Life  - Susanne Winnacker The Weepers: The Other Life #1
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Expected publication: May 1st 2012 by Marshall Cavendish

Jacket Blurb
3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life.

Sherry and her family have lived sealed in a bunker in the garden since things went wrong up above. Her grandfather has been in the freezer for the last three months, her parents are at each other’s throats and two minutes ago they ran out of food.

Sherry and her father leave the safety of the bunker and find a devastated and empty LA, smashed to pieces by bombs and haunted by ‘Weepers’ - rabid humans infected with a weaponized rabies virus.

While searching for food in a supermarket, Sherry’s father disappears and Sherry is saved by Joshua, a boy-hunter. He takes her to Safe-haven, a tumble-down vineyard in the hills outside LA, where a handful of other survivors are picking up the pieces of their ‘other lives’. As she falls in love for the first time, Sherry must save her father, stay alive and keep Joshua safe when his desire for vengeance threatens them all.

My Review:

This is a hard review to write. I have mixed feelings about the book. It was a unique story, but I think it was rushed. There were areas that could have been developed further.

What I liked:

The premise of the book is unique.

I liked how the author switched between life after the virus and life before the virus by including little snippets of Sherry's memories. It was clever.

It had an open ending, leaving enough questions unanswered for the next installment in the series.

What I didn't like:

I didn't connect with the characters.

The relationship between Joshua and Sherry developed too quickly. I found it unbelievable that Sherry would be thinking about a boy when she fears her father has been killed or is being tortured by the Weepers and the rest of her family is still in harm's way.

Bottom Line: A good book.

Language: None