MichellePickett

These Words Tell a Story...

I am the author of the Amazon bestselling young adult post apocalyptic novel, PODs.

Oppression - Jessica Therrien I just finished reading Jessica Therrien's debut novel, Oppression and - wow - loved it.

Jacket Blurb:
Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret. She's been keeping secrets her whole life. Two, actually. First, that she ages five times slower than the average person, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty. Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal. For Elyse, these things don't make her special. They make life dangerous. After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible. Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability. Or so she thinks. Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets. There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods. She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her for a long time. Among so many of her kind, she should not be very remarkable--except for the prophecy. Some believe she will put an end to traditions, safeguarded by violence, which have oppressed her people for centuries. Others are determined to keep her from doing just that. But for Elyse, the game is just beginning--and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.

What I liked:
Loved William. Yummy lead.

I felt a connection with Elyse. I'm sure we've all had periods in our lives when we've felt like the loner or outsider. Well for Elyse, this is every day, all the time. It made me love her and want to give her a hug just because I felt she needed one. She was a very real and likable character.

The bond between Elyse and Anna felt real. I was rooting for them through the entire book and was happy with how it played out.

The supporting cast of characters. Some were quite amusing and all were endearing.

I liked the ending quite well. Just when I thought I had it figured out, Ms. Therrien threw a fast ball in there and changed it up. I love when an author can do that.

What I Didn't Like:
I had to think about this for a while. There was very little I didn't like about this book. I suppose if I had to nit-pick it would be that Elyse seemed to take things (I won't spoil what they are) a little too well. I think a lot of people would have been more bothered by some of what she saw and learned. But, this wasn't something that ruined, or even slightly marred, the book.

Bottom Line:
A great start to what I'm sure will be a brilliant career for Jessica Therrien. I'm looking forward to the sequels to Elyse's story, as well as other works Ms. Therrien has planned.
If you haven't already, but Oppression and sit down for an enjoyable read.

Suitable for: Teens and adults